- Alexandria, Minnesota (US)
- Job Type:
- Full Time
Commercial HVAC Journeyman
The Commercial HVAC Journeyman is responsible for the installation of mechanical projects, including indoor and outdoor equipment, duct, gas piping, hydronics, condensate piping, and all associated equipment and material. Journeyman will typically be assigned projects smaller in size. This position responds to additional work authorizations in response to requests from contractors or owners. The position is responsible for the execution of the work. The position collaborates with the Commercial HVAC Project Manager to order materials, schedule resources, schedule subcontractors, apply change orders and coordinate with owners and contractors. The Commercial HVAC Journeyman will report the project status to the project manager.
Thorough experience with the common practices, tools, and terminology of the mechanical trade; detailed knowledge of the use and characteristics of common mechanical equipment; capable of recognizing the hazards and safety precautions associated with the mechanical trade; skilled in the use of tools and equipment; ability to work from sketches, drawings, plans, or specifications; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates; ability to communicate clearly and to teach and provide direction to apprentices are required to fulfill the duties of this position.
Essential Job Functions
- Collaborate with and follow directions from the Project Manager and Crew Leaders.
- Act in a manner consistent with the Company values and their stated behaviors.
- Onsite planning and coordination of work.
- Look ahead and plan material orders and deliveries.
- Schedule inspections.
- On-site point of contact for the general contractor or owner.
- May provide onsite direction to workers.
- Review plans to anticipate and avoid space conflicts, schedule conflicts, coordination errors, and other issues.
- Make decisions to move the project forward in the most cost-effective manner, looking out for the customer and the Company’s best interest.
- Understand and comply with all local and national codes and standards of workmanship.
- Study and understand project scope, project plans and detail drawings, project specifications, addendums, OEM documentation, and submittals as required.
- May work on multiple smaller projects at any given time.
- Provide leadership to apprentices, teaching skills of the trade, and proper safety practices.
- Communicate project status and other relevant information to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Warehouse, Fabrication, and Operations staff
- Continuously improve the level of knowledge within the mechanical field, including new materials, tooling, and methods.
- Manage onsite work in process materials, including material returns.
- Perform work as required.
- Manage project documentation, including red lines, as-builts, A.W.As., change orders, punch lists, daily sheets, packing slips, invoices, receipts, and submittals as required.
- Ensures project quality
- Provide input into apprentice performance evaluations.
- Follow Company policies, procedures, and methods.
- May be responsible for job site safety and toolbox talks
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Blueprint reading
- Understanding of applicable building codes and trade standards
- Understanding of commercial construction
- Understanding cash flow principles
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships
- Licensed tradesman
- Possess a broad knowledge of mechanical trade methods, materials, tooling, equipment or apparatus.
- Must know local and national codes and standards of workmanship
- free family health, dental, and vision insurance
- free life insurance
- free short-term disability insurance
- tuition assistance
- scholarship program
- 401k match
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- uniform allowance
- paid time off and paid holidays
Founded in 1980, Ellingsons provides customers with the best mechanical and electrical solutions. With over 100 employees in Alexandria, Minnesota, as well as Dickinson North Dakota, we serve these communities while maintaining a family-like environment.
Our highly-trained staff works closely with residential and commercial customers. We design, install and maintain our customers’ plumbing, HVAC, electrical, fireplace, fabrication, service, and commercial building automation needs. Learn more.
Posted: April 14th, 2023